Sunday, January 23, 2011

christmas art project

for christmas gifts this year, we wanted to give something that wouldn't cost a ton of money but was still worth a lot to the recipient. what we came up with:

family trees.

cade is very artistic. i have said this before but it is worth saying again. he especially excels in penmanship and calligraphy. so, we combined this talent with our geneology and boom:




family trees.

while these photos aren't the best at showing how great these turned out, i was extremely pleased. we made one for cade's parents and another for my parents and they were well loved gifts. since then, cade has had a few people put in orders and he has done a great job making each one unique and beautiful.


he even made one for our wall:

and here is one he is working on right now:

we have seen these done on a ton of different craft blogs but they are usually done by a computer with photoshop or with a vinyl lettering machine. it was cool to take this idea and see this handmade art turn out something so treasured and personal.

to cade!

11 comments:

the Eggett's said...

amazing! is he taking custom orders?

Jessica Madsen said...

That is pretty darn Awesome.

Mackay Family said...

Those are amazing! Is he really taking custom orders??? I would love to get one for my mom...

Leslea said...

We love ours! Thanks for the great Christmas gift!

Lindsey T said...

They are so amazing! I was just staring at the one at Ray & Leslie's tonight. I wish my handwriting was pretty!

Megan and Greg said...

Ok. That is INSANELY cool. I've never seen anything like that in my life. I can't believe he did that not once, not twice, but who knows how many times. Just one is an insane amount of work! Bravo Cade! I am mucho impressed!!!! I want one!!!

Missy said...

Wow! That is really awesome. Very impressed Cade!

Kayleen said...

Wow, Cade. That is seriously impressive. I might like to put in an order too if you're taking them. How much? :)

LAINA said...

VERY IMPRESSIVE! I love them! Also, I remember when we were kids we would all just be sitting around and talking and Cade would be practicing his handwriting. He would have us all write down letters and then copy them.

Remember that Cade?

Chelsea Lynn Irons said...

That is AWESOME! I love it!

Jen Holtkamp said...

oh wow! these are amazing, that is some talent!