Wednesday, July 16, 2008

we didn't start the fire...




so this last weekend, we had the babies and some friends over to the clubhouse here to swim and play games and such. we decided to do burgers for dinner, so cade and i thought it would be fun to use the tiny bbq grill thing eddie and kylee keep out on their balcony. we figured that since we live here now- everything is free game. so we stole their charcol and brought the bbq down to the clubhouse for some serious grilling. it took the boys a good hour to get the thing hot enough to cook on- but finally we were enjoying some tasty food and having a great time.


being addicted to the game splash, the fun lasted until 12:30 in the morning. as we were packing up, cade discovered that the briquets had cooled and he could carry the grill back to the apartment without burning himself one bit. i headed up to the apartment to work on my relief society lesson- which was less than 8 hours away-as cade took the trash to the dumpster.
we were quite pleasant in our cozy apartment for about 20 minutes until all hell broke loose outside. i heard sirens and worried that since i was the only on-site manager i would have to go help. i asked cade if the sirens were here or at the property next door. cade suddenly went a sickly, white color and just ran outside without saying anything. weird, i thought, but it's cade. he comes BUSTING back in the door and frantically starts turning out all of our lights, all the while screaming- 'it's us! it's us! we started the fire!'


i run to the window to see what is going on, only to see residents running around everywhere and the fire department dousing the dumpster. it was then i put it all together. we had, in all actuality, started the fire. the briquets must not have been as cool as we once thought. so immediately i get a call from my manager who is out of town. she said a resident called her in tears claiming that the fire was spreading and about to burn the trees or perhaps the building. i calmed her down and told her it was all taken care of. the authorities had arrived. meanwhile cade and i hid in our pitch black apartment.


honestly- the damage was minimal. we did come clean and admit that we were the instigators- and it seems as though we have avoided any charges or fees. but i included some pictures for your enjoyment.



the lid to the dumpster melted...but nobody likes lifting those disease infested lids to toss their trash anyway, right?



i include this picture to show you the small burn mark and how ridiculously far away the 'endangered' tree and building are from our fire. i think our neighbor downstairs needs a little more excitement in her life. this was nothing to cry about, dear janice.

read this post while you can- we may have to delete it if some sort of investigation flares up again- and if that happens, you'll find us sneaking around a dark apartment.

11 comments:

Kristine L. said...

Hahaha... that was absolutely hilarious. The best part is that I can vividly imagine Cade running around the apartment. good times...

Ceci and T.B.H. said...

I knew you two having a blog was a great Idea! you keep me alive with your stories!! I hope they don't come after you!!

Adam said...

Cade- what is it with you and fire alarms? Get some new material.

Anonymous said...

Serves you right! Next time, use your own BBQ.

Eddie

Laina said...

That really is hillarious. What a great story (especially since nothing too big happened). It probably wouldn't have been as funny if the whole complex would have burnt down, but because it didn't you can laugh about it.

The Nortons said...

Oh my gosh!!! I can't stop laughing... and wondering if it was really a good idea to leave our apartment to you and Cade (:

But first, I need to comment about the BBQ. Ash, you have discovered that I rarely used any of our cooking stuff and the BBQ was among that list. WE used it once and then left the old coals and everything sitting in it all winter. The charcoal that was sitting on the patio has been there for almost 1 year. I can't believe you used it!!!

I hope the coals were warm enough to kill the thousands of germs and bugs that have probably been infesting that bag. If you get sick anytime soon, don't blame us.

Love you guys!!!

Kate Gildea said...

Ok, why did I not hear this straight from the horses mouth? Honestly! This is hte funniest thing. You would have thought since Cade grew up next to a fireman he would have been more careful...

the beus family said...

Oh that is the funniest thing ever!! My favorite part is cade saying 'it's us, it's us, we started the fire.' i love it!
I haven't looked at your blog forever, I am so glad you posted your wedding pics. I don't think there was one picture that was less than gorgeous!
I can always count on your blog to make me laugh.
beej

Preston & Shawnee said...

HAHAHA!! This is seriously so freaking funny I cannot stop laughing. I can totally picture Cade exactly how you described him and would love if you had caught this whole scene on film so I could watch it. Hilarious. So Ash did you put your two weeks in at Blush?

paige and jord said...

okay, this just made my day. you two are hilarious! and im still laughing.. and so is jord. i told cade how sad i was that you guys were gonna miss the "marrieds" bbqs this fall at utah state.. perhaps its a better idea that you two didn't participate :)

Nordhoff Family said...

Wow! What a fun story to remember for the rest of your lives. It is awesome you took pictures too.